Tuesday, October 9, 2007

And the Good News Is...

I spent some time yesterday afternoon and this afternoon working over the sleeve and shoulder area of the dress I just made for Emily Rose. I wasn't sure if it would work out, but the good news is that it fits now. There are two seams in the sleeve to make it more fitted around the elbow. It is also a princess line dress that has a seam in the front and the back curving up into the sleeve hole in about the same place as the two seams in the sleeves. Even though I had zig-zaged and trimmed, there was still a little bit I could take out of each seam, and I reduced the seam allowance in the sleeve hole as much as I could which gave a little bit more room across the back. I tried it on my daughter just to be sure and was so relieved that it was going to work. Then I zig-zaged up those tiny seam allowances once again. The next step would have been to try to figure out how to put in a gusset, as La Tea Dah suggested, but I'm glad I didn't have to, as I've never made one before.

I would have loved to be a Home Economics major in college, but just after I got to the college of my choice, they closed the Home Economics department. I only got two of the sewing classes I desired. I'd still love to take some more clothing construction classes, but it seems they are hard to find anywhere now days. And I'd really like to learn to sew like they do in Asia, just from a magazine photo and some measurements. Lately it seems I am doing more clothing reconstruction, but I'll blog more about that at another time. I've been on the computer more then I should today.

2 bouquets of wildflowers (Comment here):

La Tea Dah said...

So sad, that they closed that specific Home Economics department. I miss it to this day, and when the university calls to recruit money, I remind them that they eliminated the department I learned so much in, so would they please relay to the president that I am sad it's gone?

Sigh. . .

La Tea Dah said...

And. . .I'm really glad the dress fits now!