Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sir Henry's Birthday Cake

So how do you make a gluten free, dairy free, food as grown, birthday cheese cake? It isn't easy, but we came up with a delicious one for Sir Henry's birthday.


I found the recipe in "The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with living Foods" Lori Baird, Editor.

Just Like Cheesecake
By Emily Lee Angell
Makes 24 slivers

I will type out the original recipe for you just as written, but will tell you that I decreased the amount of coconut oil in the cheese like filling to only 1/3 cup. Coconut oil is said to have some good health benefits. Even though it is called a saturated fat, it isn't the same thing as factory processed hydrogenated fats, but it is processed some, so my husband would rather not eat much. Even with the reduced coconut oil it was delicious, and a very satisfying treat. I didn't add the salt and didn't miss it one bit.

One cheese cake I made with lemon juice as suggested, and the second one I made with orange juice, and it was very delicious.

I made the raspberry sauce as suggested, but froze it with the rest of the cake, as the top layer. It turned out very lovely.

Ingredients:
For the crust:

2 cups raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup dried coconut

For the cheese:
3 cups chopped cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)

For raspberry sauce:
1 bag frozen raspberries
1/2 cup dates

Directions:
To make the crust, process the macadamia nuts and dates in the food processor.
Sprinkle dried coconut onto the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan. Press crust onto the coconut. this will prevent it from sticking.
To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lemon, honey, gently warmed coconut oil, vanilla, sea salt (if using), and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.
Pour the mixture onto the crust. Remove air bubbles by tapping the pan on a table.
Place in a freezer until firm. Remove the whole cake from the pan while frozen and place on a serving platter. Defrost in a refrigerator.
To make the raspberry sauce, process raspberries and dates in a food processor until well blended. (Do not use a blender for this or the raspberry seeds will become like sand.)

3 bouquets of wildflowers (Comment here):

Unknown said...

What a beautiful culinary creation! This recipe has really captured my interest, I'd like to try it soon.

La Tea Dah said...

YUM! I was so busy the past two days, I didn't read your blog --- but should have! It appears that Sir Henry and my beloved have birthdays one day apart. My gluten free creation was in the form of 'traditional' chocolate cupcakes (if anything gluten free can be called traditional!). But your cake looks totally lovely and I will have to give it a try SOON! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I blogged sugar free apple pie today --- so didn't post pictures of my gf cupcakes yet, but will probably do that tomorrow. I used the last of the baby roses with lavender and mint for the decor. They were so pretty --- makes me sad that the first frost will be here soon and they will be gone.

Happy Birthday to Sir Henry! I'm so glad he's doing so well and is moving along with excellent health! Many blessings to him!

Love,
LaTeaDah

Pamela said...

I suppose it is all gone.
Watercolor class tonight.
It's not been very successful. Two hours instead of three. Just can't get things done.