Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Walnut-Raisin Cake


It is the time of year of parties and dinners and holiday indulging of fatty and sugary "treats". I was invited to a paryt a couple days ago and asked to bring a salad and a dessert. The salad was no problem. I enjoy making and eating salad every day. And if I take the salad, I make it really good, so I know that even if there is nothing else to eat, I can fill up on a really good salad. The dessert was the problem. I don't eat classic holiday deserst very often, and if I took something I do eat, would anyone else want to even eat it?

About an hour before it was time to leave for the party, I knew what to make. This desert is so easy, and yet nutritious and delicious, you won't believe it. I didn't the first time I ate some at a birthday party for a little friend I know. Her family is also gluten and dairy intolerant vegans and I knew it was "safe" for me to eat, but I couldn't believe that it was so simple and tasty.

I made it and pressed it into a heart shaped dish and garnished it with sets of cranberries and parsley, arranged to resemble holly. I had it made in 10 - 15 minutes and into the refrigerator to chill almost as long as it recommends. At the party people repeatedly cornered me and asked me for the recipe. This is a must try recipe if you are looking for a simple and nutritious dessert.

Walnut-Raisin Cake
From Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet

2 cups raw walnuts, unsoaked
2 cups raisins, unsoaked

Place the walnuts and raisins in a food processor fitted with the S
blade and process until the mixture sticks together. Transfer to a
serving place and form into a little cake. Frost the top and sides
with orange glaze.

Chill for at least 1 hour. Decorate the cake with fresh raspberries
or other berries before serving. Covered with plastic wrap, Walnut-
Raisin Cake will keep for five days in the refrigerator or two weeks
in the freezer. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Orange Glaze

1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1 - 2 oranges juiced)
1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked

Place the dates, and orange juice in a strong blender or food
processor, and process until smooth. Stop occasionally to scrape
down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Stored in a sealed
container in the refrigerator, the glaze will keep for five days.

0 bouquets of wildflowers (Comment here):