Thursday, May 10, 2007

Glacier Lilies


Glacier Lilies (Erythronium grandiflorum) are one of my favorites in the spring. They are a delicate flower grown from a bulb, about 6 to 12 inches tall. They grow from low elevations, such as in the Columbia George, up to high elevations. They are common at alpine and sub alpine elevations, but can also be found among sagebrush. As spring progresses you will find them higher and higher up the mountain side. Right now they are about done blooming at 3500 feet in Eastern Washington and Oregon. One year we went to Glacier National Park in Montana, and found them blooming near the end of July at the highest point along the "Going-to-the-Sun" Road, near Logan Pass. The whole meadow was covered with them.

3 bouquets of wildflowers (Comment here):

Shereen said...

I'm so happy you made the move over to Blogger. I had tried a few times leaving you comments over on homeschool blogger, but it always gave me problems. I see I have a few posts to catch up on. I will update you on my bloglines and on my side link. YAY!! Now I can start commenting again.

La Tea Dah said...

I love glacier lilies too. They are abundant right now at the cabin. Your post showing all the glacier lilies at Glacier Nat. Park reminds me of Mt. Rainier. I love summer's there --- the wildflowers are beautiful.

Pamela said...

last weekend we drove down the gorge. The lupines were blooming, as were some yellow flowers and white flowers.

I didn't slow down to see what they were - as we were trying to get to a T-Ball game (grandson)

I saw the bighorn sheep, probably last time as they'll be heading up into the higher elevations as it heats up.

Love that Glacier Lily. WOW.